1 – Introduction
1 – Introduction
It’s quick and easy to download data from the geospatial data service. You can define your area of interest in the map view and simply select the layers(s) you need. These instructions provide a step by step guide to download data in different formats over your area of interest.
2 – How do I find my area of interest?
You can use all the tools available from the Search Tool User Guide to navigate to your area of interest. Once you have found the required area, you can proceed to choose your data and download it.
3 – How do I choose the datasets I want to download?
You can choose the required layers(s) from the catalogue in the map viewer. Use the slider switch to turn on the desired layer(s) and the data will be displayed over your area of interest. Further information on how to view layers in the map page is available in the user guide resources.
4 – How do I order data?
Once you have navigated to your area of interest and switched on the desired layer(s), you may proceed to downloading the data. This example uses the Aerial Photography dataset. Follow the step by step instructions below.
- On the Map Page, click the menu in the top left corner and then click on Map Tools.
- Within the Map Tools menu, click the Order Area Tools dropdown menu.
The Order Area Tools allow you to select the exact area you would like to download. There are several options to ensure you can download the exact size and shape needed, for more information on using the drawing tools, please refer to the user guide resources.
- In this example, a Rectangle Order Area has been chosen and drawn over the desired area of interest. Click anywhere within the order area to activate the popup shown in the image. If you would like to change your area of interest, you can click the bin icon to delete and then draw another area.
- To add the selected area of data to the basket, click the basket icon in the popup.
A layer selection box will appear after clicking the basket icon. You should either drag and drop or use the arrow buttons to move the required available layer(s) to the selected layers column. Once the correct layers are in the selected layers column, click Add To Basket. A confirmation popup will tell you the layers were successfully added to the basket.
- The required layer(s) are now in the basket, ready to be ordered. To proceed with the order, click the Basket button.
- You will see a menu on the right hand side which lists the layer(s) you selected earlier.
- At this stage, you need to decide which data format you would like to download the data in. For more information on data types please refer to the user guide resources. Use the dropdown menu under Format to choose the desired format. Once this is chosen, click Submit.
- The order will be validated and an acceptance box will appear. You must read the licence agreement before ticking the Accept box. Click Place Order. The order has now been placed and will be available for download shortly.
Note- There are restrictions on the order size of some layers due to how large the dataset is. For this reason, some layers may not be able to be downloaded in full but you can still use the order area tools.
5 – How do I download the data I ordered?
- Click Account in the top right corner, then click My Orders.
- Select the order you wish to download from the left hand menu.
- Click on the order number to collapse the menu.
- The order information is shown and the download button is displayed. If the Download button is greyed out, this means the order is not ready to be downloaded yet, so please try again shortly.
- Click the Download button, and the data will begin to be downloaded locally to your computer as a .zip folder. The folder will need to be unzipped before use and we recommend unzipping the contents of the archive into the same folder.
- The data is now ready for use in compatible software. For more information on using the data please refer to the user guide resources.